Occipital neuralgia is one of the most severe forms of nerve or neuropathic pain. You may experience severe headaches, feeling of a tight pulsating sensation over the head or severe stabbing and shooting pains over the top of the scalp.
If this describes you, you may be suffering from occipital neuralgia. This painful condition occurs when the occipital nerve that runs from the base of your skull becomes injured, inflamed or irritated. If you suffer from osteoarthritis, diabetes or have had a head injury or cervical disc disease, you may also experience occipital neuralgia. Unfortunately, occipital neuralgia is often misdiagnosed as migraine or another type of headache due to the similarity of symptoms.
Diagnosis of Occipital Neuralgia
Sometimes, no specific cause can be found. However, it is a distinct disorder that can cause you extremely intense pain and it is imperative that your condition is diagnosed and treated properly. At the London Pain Clinic we can offer you:
- An expert pain assessment by one of our consultants in pain medicine
- A full medical history concentrating on your pain
- A thorough physical examination
- Radiological investigations including MRI scans and x rays
- London Pain Clinic second opinion service.
Treatment of Occipital Neuralgia
At the London Pain Clinic our pain specialists can deliver:
- A full explanation of occipital neuralgia
- A personalised treatment plan
- The latest antineuropathic (anti-nerve pain) medication
- Targeted pulsed radiofrequency treatment (PRF) to the occipital nerves
- Occipital nerve stimulation
- Desensitisation techniques
- Self help techniques.
Your expert London Pain Clinic doctor can get to the root of the problem and work with you to learn what triggers this painful condition. With an accurate diagnosis of your condition and an effective treatment plan, you can learn to manage your Occipital Neuralgia. Make an appointment today to get your life back to its best. To begin your recovery please call us on 020 7118 0250 or email the London Pain Clinic.