There are a number of potential causes of face pain including musculoskeletal pain and nerve or neuropathic pain.
Common causes include trigeminal neuralgia, dental pain, atypical facial pain and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction.
Diagnosis for Face Pain
If you are experiencing ongoing face pain, it is important to see a professional pain specialist at the London Pain Clinic. We offer:
- A full assessment by an experienced pain consultant
- A complete medical history focussing on your facial pain
- A thorough physical examination
- Targeted investigations including MRI scans, x rays and blood tests
- Our trusted second opinion service.
Treatment of Face Pain
Specific targeted treatment is often necessary for your facial pain and may require a multidisciplinary approach. Often, patients with face pain can show no signs of abnormality on routine examination, which is why it can prove a diagnostic challenge. At the London Pain Clinic we are experts in treating face pain. You will receive:
- A full explanation about your face pain
- An individual treatment plan
- Access to the latest analgesic and antineuropathic medication
- For neuropathic facial pain, we offer:
- Targeted local nerve blocks
- Pulsed radiofrequency (PRF) treatment to selected nerves
- Botulinum Toxin A (Botox) treatment
- Peripheral Electrical Nerve Stimulation (PENS) treatment
- For TMJ pain, we offer:
- Intra-articular temporomandibular joint steroid injections
- Botulinum Toxin A (Botox) to the masseter muscles.
Doctors at the London Pain Clinic know that each patient is an individual, which is why we take a consultative approach to your care with effective, personally tailored treatment plans. All our patients are free to ask as many questions as they wish. To begin your recovery, please call us on 020 7118 0250 or email the London Pain Clinic.