Durogesic D-Trans Patch
The Durogesic D-Trans is a pain-relieving, transdermal patch applied to the skin for severe chronic conditions.
The rectangular-shaped, transparent Durogesic D-Trans patches are used for consistent pain relief for patients suffering from:
- Lower back pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Neuropathic pain
- Cancer pain
Working Principle of Fentanyl patches
Fentanyl, an opioid analgesic is the key ingredient in the Durogesic Dtrans patches.
Opioids are a group of very strong painkillers associated with morphine. They act by imitating the action of endorphins, the naturally occurring pain-reducing chemicals. Endorphins are found in the brain and spinal cord and combine with opioid receptors to reduce pain.
Fentanyl, the active ingredient contained in the Durogesic DTrans patches mimics the action of these natural endorphins by combining with the opioid receptors in the brain and the spinal cord. This further blocks the transmission of pain signals sent by the nerves to the brain.
Consequently, though the cause of pain might still exist, the actually pain felt is minimised.
How to Use the Durogesic D-Trans patches
The Durogesic D-Trans patches are extremely easy to use and come with detailed instructions to guide you on the usage. Here we give you an easy set of steps to assist you in the application of these patches.
Step 1: Remove from the pouch
Each Durogesic D-Trans patch comes sealed in its own pouch. Remove it from the pouch only when you are ready to use it. Hold the notch and carefully tear the pouch material. If using scissors to open the pouch, cut very close to the sealed edge.
Step 2: Start applying
Hold the patch between the thumb and index finger of both hands with the liner of the patch facing up. Fold the patch backwards to make the backing separate from the patch along the s-shaped cut.
Step 3: Stick the patch
Apply the exposed adhesive part to the skin and gradually remove the rest of the liner parts, while pressing the whole patch to the skin. Once it is applied, press it firmly and hold for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute.
At the end, you can simply discard the liner with the other household trash.
For an individual using the Durogesic D-Trans patches, it is important to take note of the following:
- Follow the instructions enclosed with the medicine carefully
- Apply the patch only on a clean, dry, non-hairy, non-irritated, non-irradiated area of the skin on the torso or the upper arm.
- Use only water if you want to cleanse the concerned area before applying the patch.
- Every patch you use should be replaced after 72 hours. Apply the new patch on a different place on the arm or the torso. If a patch falls off midway, immediately apply a new one.
- To dispose the used patches, fold them in half, enabling it to get sealed with the sticky side and wrap it in the empty sachet or a piece of tin foil. Place it in the bin, away from the reach of children or animals
- Never cut, divide or damage the patches in any way
Before you start on the prescription of the Durogesic D-Trans patch, you should be well aware of the main precautions and related factors. Here we list the main amongst them:
- Avoid exposure to excessive external heat when wearing the patch, especially from sources such as hot water bottles, electric blankets, heat lamps and saunas.
- Know your reaction to the medicine before you drive or operate any machinery, as the Durogesic D-Trans patch is known to cause a high amount of drowsiness.
- Avoid alcohol consumption as it is likely to aggravate the drowsiness
- Reduce the consumption gradually as sudden discontinuation can cause withdrawal symptoms, especially once the body has become used to it.
- These patches are not be used in acute, short-term pain.
- This form of medication is not advisable for breastfeeding mothers and children.
The Durogesic D-Trans patches are to be used with an extra caution in:
- Aged/Weak patients
- Decreased liver and kidney function
- Asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or other lung diseases
- Respiratory depression .i.e. slow, shallow breathing
- Brain tumour
- Increase pressure in the brain
- Impaired consciousness
- Comatose states
- Slow abnormal heart rhythms
- Low blood pressure
Like all forms of medication, the Durogesic D-Trans patches also have their own set of side effects. The occurrence of these side effects varies amongst different patients and might not be seen in some of them altogether.
The patient is advised to seek professional help if any of the below side effects persist for a longer time or seem to get aggravated.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dry mouth
- Rash or redness
- Excessive euphoria or hallucinations
- Fall in appetite
- Low blood pressure
- Urinary problems
The occurrence of side effects may also increase if the Durogesic D-Trans patches are used along with medicines such as antipsychotics, general anaesthetics, benzodiazepines, muscle relaxants, sedating antihistamines and tricyclic antidepressants.