Specialist Pain and Spinal Physiotherapist
Maxine is a specialist pain & spinal physiotherapist with over 20 years experience in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal, neuropathic (nerve) and spinal pain conditions. Fully chartered and HCPC registered, she has worked extensively within large NHS teaching hospitals as well as in the private sector in the UK & Australia.
Having graduated in the UK with an honours degree in physiotherapy (1996), she initially followed her passion for sport, specialising in the field of Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine. The growing demand from patients requesting to be treated for other longstanding, often complex pain conditions, made her aware of the poor consistency in high quality pain management services available to many. Frustrated and driven by the knowledge that all pain is manageable if diagnosed and treated correctly, she expanded her studies to further specialise in the field of pain management. Maxine has extensive postgraduate education which she keeps up to date by regularly attending courses and conferences. She has studied under and worked alongside top specialists in this field.
In 2010 she left her senior NHS post as a specialist extended scope physiotherapist to found PHYSIOMAX, a specialist pain physiotherapy clinic. She has worked in association with Dr. Jenner and London Pain Clinic since 2012.
Maxine knows that you understanding “why?” is key to your recovery, so her approach has a strong educational bias. She effectively and efficiently integrates her strong biomechanical and manual therapy background with cutting edge pain medicine research. The result is an evidence based varied approach that skillfully combines the best techniques proven to work.
Maxine always has a “plan B”, never gives up and is passionate about enabling people to get better, restoring their quality of life.
- The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
- The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- The Physiotherapy Pain Association (PPA)
- Organisation of Chartered Physiotherapists in Private Practice (Physio First)
Pain Services Offered
- “Explain Pain” NOI patient education program: understand your body’s basic pain mechanisms, why you have your pain, what is driving it and what you can do about it
- Nerve desensitising program: for hypersensitive nerves or when suffering from allodynia
- Pacing Strategies: learn how to move and function when in pain, as well as how to control and minimise sudden flare ups
- Postural re-education programs: pain affects your posture, learn how to restore normal body alignment
- Correction of muscle imbalance: via core stability and strengthening rehabilitation programs
- Manual therapy: graded mobilisation and manipulation techniques to specifically target problems in the spine, muscles, joints, nerves and fascia
- Functional rehabilitation programs: a targeted approach to get back to a healthier & fitter you whilst minimising recurrence of your pain
- Electrophysical Modalities: such as neuromuscular stimulation and TENS
Following your assessment consultation, our Consultants in Pain Medicine may refer you to Maxine, if they feel Maxine is the most appropriate person to assist you with your rehabilitation. Once we have made the referral, a member of Maxine’s team will contact you directly to arrange an appointment. Please note that the London Pain Clinic Group administration team do not administer Maxine’s appointment diary.